Sunday, October 02, 2005

Weekend cancelled due to "Big Dick"

Typhoon "Big Dick" has ruined my weekend of sitting on the beach in Kenting... actually the typhoon's name is actually "Long Wang," who comes up with these names? It's actually Chinese for "Dragon King" but Long Wang kind of cracks me up. Whatever, that's one name the English department should have vetoed.

The good news, I think my apartment is on the virge of cleanliness, next to godlyness? Must have been a mother who came up with that. I finished doing my 60+ reportcards, never thought I'd EVER write one reportcard let alone 60 of them!

My parents are coming on Friday or something and I want to go home... back to my time warp theory. Playtime used to be over before it began and work took forever. My mom explained the 4th dimension of Physics, "Fun." "Time flies when you're having fun," she'd say. When I was little I used to try to have alot of fun and watch my watch and then try to instantly do something not fun, or boring and watch my watch to see if it slowed down. My conclusion was that I needed a better watch and that I should stop wasting my fun time on science experiments.
Well, I've been in Taiwan for a year and a half, it was only supposed to be for a year. Before I came here, I was wondering what to do with my life. After I came here, I was enjoying where my life was going and my experiences. Now, I realise that even though, many people have made this life their life plan, it's not a place I want to be forever.

I used to FEEL like time stood still and that I just got older. Unfortunately, while I'm getting older, so are other people and car accidents still happen. That was realised when I lost my grandfather, my hero. When I went home at Christmas, everyone was older, even my parents, it was really weird to see but they actually looked older and my grandmother seemed a little different.

My life back in Canada seems to be wilting and blossoming, I am not there to see it unfold. Instead, I am here watching Taiwanese lives bloom and wilt. Some people at home are not doing as well as they once were and some people, like my sister are doing amazing things at university and I can't be there to see it. My best friend just got engaged and my "baby" cousins are all growing up.

I miss being able to have a free conversation with anyone I meet and I miss going to the farm and not having to converse with anyone.

Saskatchewan is so far from everything, especially Japanese car parts that took over a month to come and shopping that sucked. I never thought I would miss being so isolated, the thing I hated most is the thing I miss the most. So, after seeing the places I want to see (India, Russia and China (again) and Vietnam), I think I will go home, get my masters degree and do Psychological research.

I really love Taiwan and I love my kids, I love what I do and what I can do here, I just wish it wasn't so far away. But I am so glad I came here and I can't wait to finish what I set out to do which was to see the world, and I'm doing it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see you and have a great visit...Sounds like you have been putting a lot of thought into your future plans. See you in 4 days!!!!!!!!Breta

Sunday, October 02, 2005 7:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home