Saturday, September 24, 2005

Jenn, stop laughing!

This is not a bad post.

Unfortunately my past has come to haunt me. You can run from it, but never hide. Well, I like to sing in class while my students do their work, no harm in a little English sentence structure... besides, I am the teacher and no one will argue with that. Well, they can sing maybe 6 songs that I know, the latest is "Where are you going?" by the David Matthews Band, it's kind of a new song for me and I really like it. Well, it goes something like this:

"Where are you going?
Where have you been?
I am a superhero"

... and on. So, I finally burnt it to a cd and played it for the class. They were a wee bit pissed at Mr. Knows all this cool music teacher. I guess the cd player is broken because what came out of that stupid contraption was:

"Where are you going?
Where do you go?
I am no superman, I have no answers for you.
I am no hero, oh, that’s for sure."

In the middle of class, I was taken back to driving from S'toon to N.B. with Jennifer and we played one of her favorite songs, Elton John's, "Piano Man." Something about the song that I always sang, and that she had learned from me, and the one that Sir Elton forgot the proper lyrics to were not even close except for the first verse and the tune. She was a little annoyed that I can't seem to get lyrics right even though my lyrics made sense, rhymed and fit well.

Other popular classroom titles are: Get off my cloud (The Briggs and The Stones), Honey, Honey, Sugar, Sugar (dunno), Yellow Submarine (Beatles), and... unfortunately... Piano man.

So, I will be bringing the lyrics for them to learn (as well as myself) to learn which may substitute for "The Ants Go Marching," and other stupid kids songs that I have also forgotten the lyrics to. As long as they learn some good speech patterns and have some fun, who cares... besides, wouldn't it be great if one of these songs came up on the car radio and the kid belts out to it infront of the parents? That won't happen with Twinkle Little Star, will it? Let's just hope Piano Man never makes it to the Taiwanese radio waves.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love to hear you sing anytime, even if the lyrics are original...Lucky students, Breta

Sunday, October 02, 2005 7:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually...Although I am laughing...Piano Man is sung By Billy Joel...which was even more funny that you got that wrong too...lol

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 2:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, i believe, honey, honey sugar sugar, or (sugar sugar, honey honey), is done by the archies... I think I learnt that from simpsons,
Reg

Thursday, March 02, 2006 2:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home