Monday, September 12, 2005

Dishing it up.

Well, as I sit at my computer, finally ressurecting my massive music collection, I ran across an old tune. Spoonman, by Soundgarden, it's heavy metal music that I used to listen to in my walkman while I delivered newspapaers when I was 14. I bought the Trouble In The Henhouse album from my paper money and used a crappy cassete player walkman with 99 cent earphones as I cruised the streets with my bag o' papers. Kind of brought me back for a minute, kind of nice. Wow, that was so long ago, I feel like I'm living in a time warp.

That was 10 years ago and it feels like one. My life is speeding beyond control, and I have nothing to show for it... or do I? I have had almost every job known to man. I have been a:firefighter, undercover security officer, auto mechanic, florist, cashier, grocer, pizza delivery, pizza cook, video store clerk, orderly, paperboy, and... now a teacher; all I need now is to drop off an application off at 7-11 and I'll have had it all.

I have also been to some pretty cool places, been to Mexico, even into the city, Australia, China, Korea, Thailand and Taiwan (they are NOT the same place).

I've also done things like drive a tuk-tuk (3 wheeled taxi), a firetruck, a motorbike, motorbike taxi, scooter, skidoo, seadoo, boat, grain truck, tractor, bulldozer and a horse. I have jumped out of planes, stayed in burning buildings (shouldn't it be the other way around?) and just about any other stupid thing I could get my hands on (except bungee jumping, because I think it's boring). I've also been 150 feet under the sea 3 feet from the most poisonous snake in the world sharing an underwater cave with me with nothing but an overinflated thermos of air strapped to my back. With all of this, I have only one little scar from going down a hill on a sled in the middle of a city park.

I have managed to become proficient in Chinese and forget almost all of my French (not that there was alot to start with) and some of my English suffered for a while, but I think it's back.

I think I am growing in many ways here, I am immersed in much of the culture and I think I am bettering myself, even though I should focus more on my physical health and all that stuff that breaks a sweat and doesn't taste as good. But... when I went home, I didn't like the frozen food much and I could taste the preservatives in everything... I didn't like it. McDonald's is my only vice and I can think of a million reasons to not have it but not one for.

I have become many things I planned on not becoming. I have more art than I have walls, some of it is even mine. I am still cleaning out a room for my art, I found an oil paint set for $350 Can that has everything I need... debating, clean the room first. I love art, I never really did, I love nature and I am scared of almost nothing (as shown by how I drive), I had a couple bumps when I got here from my bike and I have learned that I bounce. Also, I'm not a complete idiot, I got rid of my two-stroke racing bike when I popped a wheelie at 70km/hour with someone on the back on a test drive. He didn't buy the bike, something about killing himself, that's when I decided the same thing and made sure I sold it. I always wear a full face helmet and if the buildings look fuzzy, I wear a breathing air filter mask.

My mom always told me, "Time flies when you're having fun." It's the saddest truth she has ever told me, I wish it were the other way around; I'm having a blast but I feel like I'm missing out, on home, my family and the farm. I'll come home someday, hopefully everything will still be there, I think this may be my only fear... only having one fear is pretty good, huh?


I'll update this later.
P.S. I was getting my students to give me "because" sentences and they were stumped. I asked Nancy why I was so handsome, she said "You are so handsome, because you have no hair." hahahaha, I promptly threw the baggie of paper towel at her.

Oh yeah, how cool is this? Today, one of my students held my bottle of Ice Tea infront of the air conditioner to keep it cool, that's dedication!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home