Saturday, August 27, 2005

It has come.

Well, my "new" temporary cellphone "works", meaning it rarely turns off by itself. I don't know why. But, a new phone is coming as soon as one of my co-workers friends leaves. So, yeah. I guess you can call me. The big move is on Sunday, still haven't found a truck and it ain't gonna happen on a motorbike. However, I can move a queen sized mattress on my motorbike, so I guess anything's possible. Looking forward to my own place, no... my own SPACE. Taiwan isn't like home, there is no space, it is the size of Vancouver island and only a third of it is inhabited, the rest in mountain. So, pack two thirds of the population of Canada into one third of Vancouver island and then tell me how much personal space you have. So, I will have 3 bedrooms to myself, one for me, one for my painting and crap and one for junk.

Let's see, today in class I recorded our reader book. It is for students who have been in my afternoon class for 8 months for 10 hours a week. I recorded it into their recorders and then read it with them repeating after me. I always say the wrong words to see if they are reading it or just parroting me (Jane went to the farm, I would change farm to zoo). Well, today I started throwing in some Chinese, then I just read 10 pages of it completely in Chinese and the students repeated the English. After, I played a game where I read a sentence in Chinese and they had to find it on English, it actually seemed to work pretty well, they loved it and they were reading every sentence and trying to comprehend it in order to be the first to find the English equivilent. I think my boss might get pissed if I'm speaking Chinese so much, but he never seems to care about me anymore. Cool, I think... I would be worried, he never comes into my class but he does say that my students are great, whatever, I'm having fun, they're having fun and I think they might even be learning some English without even realizing it. So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Oh, I asked my boss for a week off in October and he gave it to me, I must be doing something right.

Also, I put a link to Theresa's blog on the right side of the screen if you want her perspective on Taiwan.

I'm still in the mood to take a jet to Peng hu for a weekend once I get my new place up. A good chance to blow some money.

Goodnight.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I have fun learning a new skill, it always seems to be remembered much easier!!! Your kids sound like they are having a great time and learning lots, too. I need someone to teach me Chinese in a fun way...Interested??? Breta

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 1:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home