Saturday, April 01, 2006

Shaked n' Baked

I'm not dead, just busy... a good busy.
This is a saved post that I haven't posted yet, I'll update soon.

Well, I'm ready to be served.

Today, I got a good Shake n' Baking, I was in the sun all day and got burnt, then I felt 3 huge earthquakes, 6.4, 4.7 and 4.8 on the R-scale. Where I was, I felt 5, 4 and 3 on the ground I was standing on, waaaaaayyyy cool! More about this later.

My day.
My power went out and I missed my 8:00AM alarm, but I woke up at 8:45 and rocketed off on my bike to the town of Nanzih to meet someone whose gonna show me the launch site, we drove for a bit and met up with another guy. We parked our bikes and hopped in his SUV and drove the 30 mins out to the mountain. We arrived and someone asked if I wanted to try, sure! I handed over CAN$40 and jumped into the van to go to the top.

I geared up with the instructor and left the launch site, 300m above the landing site. We did a tandem jump and rode the updrafts to 600m, wow. When I wasn't taking pictures, the instructor let me fly, pretty cool. There was a "Variometer" that beeped when we ascended, faster and faster with a higher rate of ascent and made a terrible noise when we dropped. It made it easy to tell when I was in the thermal and helped me stay out of the sink holes. I was up for a little under an hour when the sun went behind the clouds and the thermals stopped, the other flyers weren't far behind us. After a terrible landing (wasn't me), we sat in the field and drank lots of beer, had some BBQ Chicken and talked. What a rush, eagles were soaring with us, above and below, I think I'll be going back on Wednesday since it's a national holiday.

We drove back to the bikes and went to the washroom, on my way back to the SUV, I started feeling a little unsteady and summed it up to the beer and the sun. I thought that I'd have to take the bus back to the city because I didn't think I could drive, my coordination was all off and I was having trouble walking. Jaco (the guy who took me) said that he was feeling the same way... then stuff started falling over and smashing, the jeep was bouncing and a scooter fell over. It was an earthquake, it lasted more than 5 minutes, sooo cool. I wished I was at home with my Jenga set though.

This picture is of a little 24 hour convenient store about 15km from where I was standing.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a mess in the store...Glad you were out in the open and OK during the quake. Glad to hear you had a good and safe flight..Breta

Sunday, April 23, 2006 2:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home