Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Stupid Foreigner.

Tomorrow is 2-28, a Taiwanese apology holiday. 50 years ago or something, the Taiwanese government killed a mountain person or something in cold blood and there was a small revolt among the mountain people (Hakka = Native people). So, the governments response was to march their army into the hills and kill all the natives or something (Taiwan was still Communist and stuff). Anyways, as an apology, the government made 2-28 (Feb 28th) a day off to mark the anniversary of this atrocity.

I asked my kids about this holiday and they told me that everyone in Taiwan had to shut the windows and turn off the lights or they could get shot. One of my kids uncles had to hide in the river for a week so he didn't get killed.

Anyways, my plan was do do what I like to do on my days off... go to the mountains. My students thought that was a bad idea, they didn't want me to get shot by the army or something. It was 30 years ago or something, but some things stick.

... don't believe much in this post, my research consisted of rumors and 6 year olds who are still learning English and yet have no concept of our treacherous world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home