Monday, February 27, 2006

Owl Eyed.

Last night I took an old friend to dinner. Her name is Candy and she used to work in the cafe in my building before it closed. She's Taiwanese and very cute and sweet. I haven't talked to her for a year, but I remember her being able to speak some English... did I mention I haven't talked to her for about a year?

Anyways, when I called her, she sounded excited to talk to me, so I invited her out for dinner and a movie. We went out for Thai food and it was great! After, she needed to stop at her work to grab something.

We pulled up to her coffee shop and she got off the bike and went in, I got off the bike and took off my helmet only to see her coworkers looking out the window at me. Their eyes went about 4 inches wide (pretty big for Taiwanese women) and I could see one mouth the words, "WaiGuoRen" meaning, "foreigner." She politely explained that I speak Chinese... not so common for foreigners. Anyways, she bought me a mango slush thing and instead of going to a movie, we went to a live concert in the park. There was a band from Hong Kong who sang some pretty western style music... in Chinese, but I could understand the Chinese so I bought the cd to help me with my pronunciation.

We had a good time and the only difficulty was when I was trying to say "again" and couldn't seem to get it across, everything else went smoothly. I don't think there's a better feeling than driving a motorbike in the cool night air with a cute Taiwanese girl's arms wrapped around you as you fly through the neon-lit streets.

The next best part? I make $28/hour and she makes $3/hour, she didn't complain when I bought her our $20 dinner, but she insisted on buying me my mango freezie at her shop and a coke at the concert (I still had my freezie, but we had to buy something to get a table). It's nice to know someone who's genuinely appreciative and not wanting to take advantage.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Post a picture?
It might not be approperiate, but I would love an image of the co-workers mouthing the words.
Reg

Friday, March 10, 2006 5:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home