Sunday, February 19, 2006

Which wire do I cut? Red or blue? RED OR BLUE???

I have done many things short of actually changing anything on my drive, it seems to be ok, but the Partition is missing... other words, the Table Of Contents is missing, the file that knows everything about my drive. It knows exactlty where everything is, how big, what date and what name. But, there is data there. Imagine dropping the Bible into a woodchipper and then trying to put it back together... yep, I'm blindly trying to part the Red Sea.

Ok, well, I'm still very frustrated and have no idea what I'm doing... it's never stopped me before. I found a program that can find all my files and save them as files on a new hard drive that I must buy... however, all the names and dates will be gone, so they will be called "File07.mp3", what a nightmare for sifting through the rubble. On a 200Gb hard drive, that's about 130,000 files with serial numbers for names, I don't feel like manually renaming 130,000 pictures, songs and crap.

My other option is to give it to a data company who will charge $400 and up and I still might end up with option A.

My last option, is to use a program that restores the Partition, or the index of where everything is, how big it is and what it's called. I think this is the best one, it won't cost me anything and even if it screws up, I should still be able to recover 90% or more of the drive with option A. I sent an email to the creator of the program because I have no concept of what I'm doing, but the program DID say it can see my partition. Now, I don't know what it means, because it's a DOS based program and I'm not that familiar with drive settings and what they should be. I have an idea on which button to press, but I'd hate to resort to option A.

Baaaaaaaaahhhh!!! Maybe I should just toss everything I own over the balcony and go live in the jungle... it was a good idea when I was 5 years old, so why not now?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Calvin and Hobbs...where is their wisdom when you need it??? Breta

Thursday, February 23, 2006 12:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home