Thursday, February 02, 2006

In Phonm Pen or something like that.

Well, I took the bus back to Phonm Pen but I made sure it was the V.I.P. bus... $9 rather than US$6. It was alright, the A/C worked, seats padded and no blowing dust, a far better experience, the boat just didn't pan out as it only left at 7am with a 5am pickup, I wanted to do some things in the morning and didn't want to arrive in Phonm Pen in the afternoon, so I took the noon bus.

I went to the war/landmine museum today, I have to say, land mines have got to be some of the scariest things I have ever seen, they had tanks, Howittzers and Rocket LAunchers, but the "mine field" was by far one of the scariest things I have seen. Something so little can be so big, especially when you leasst expect it. I don't think it helps that "One household in 20 reported a land mine victim, a third of them dying in the blast; one in 10 of the 2100 victims was a child." "In Cambodia 22% of households (1359/6090) said that they had been forced to leave because of land mines." Here's a ling to more stuff.

I'm having a blast and I looked at a hotel for $2 that had a room with a 5 foot ceiling and another room with a 4 foot door and a 15 foot high ceiling, what the heck? Having a driver is cool, they just drive you around all day and sit outside your hotel, restaraunt, temple, or wherever you may be, and it's $10 for the day. Also, the police open car doors for foreigners here and often shop doors and stuff, many places have security guards who do that also and keep the tuk-tuk drivers and the beggars away from the foreigners. I just noticed that I said I was having a blast, that was purely accidental.

Tomorrow, I will go to Prison 49 (Detention center converted from an old highschool) and to the Kings palace and stuff. Then... off to the Russain market to buy dirt cheap goodies, my trip has been pretty cheap, so it will be nice to come home with some money.

One more thing, this place is so strange, on the highway, our state of the art tour bus was weaving around oxen pulling far overloaded carts loaded with straw to build someone a new house.

Also, I have figured out how families can live on $5 a week, they have no utilities and nothing to steal. Most houses are built on stilts with a slough below sometimes, there are no power lines or phone lines, they pump well water and the schools send children to the dugouts with buckets. The houses are made out of bamboo and dried palm leaves, the only thing woirth stealing is a motorbike. They harvest thier crops using oxen and carts and those "long stickey things with the curvey swordy things at the bottom" and then they pile it and load it into carts, no tractors, no threshing machines, just good old fasioned labour that is not vulnurable to breakdowns.

I know my blog's a mess, but I will do it up right, after I'm back in the land of the smoggy children.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im not sure that would be a place I'd pick for a vacation. But Im know you will come back enlightened. You're enlightening me with your trip. Just becareful...and Im sure on your last day, you could splurge $100 giving $5.00 each to a few really poor families. Im sure you would make their year...and you'd make it back in a day.- Jennifer

Monday, February 06, 2006 7:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"long stickey things with the curvey swordy things at the bottom"

That would be a scythe. From Merriam Webster: an implement used for mowing (as grass) and composed of a long curving blade fastened at an angle to a long handle.

fyi

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 4:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home