Sunday, January 08, 2006

A New First in Foreign Dining.

Well, it was Chinese Paul's birthday tonight, so Cherie took him out for Japanese all you can eat at Soto. While we were there I saw a beautiful girl sitting a couple tables away who seemed to be having a blast with her female friend. I said that that's the kind of girl I want and Cherie asked if I wanted her to "scope her out." Luckily, this beauty went to the bathroom and Cherie soon followed. They both came out and Niki turns out to be 21 and single. She even speaks English, but it's not much compared to my "Welfare" Chinese, which isn't much. So, we stuck with Chinese and she tried to speak some English, which helped. Cherie was a good translator for the tough stuff.

We had a great talk and she seems great... but she was busy tomorrow with her friend but wants to do something next time she's in town. Yes, sadly enough, she's form TaiJung, about 4 hours away by bus, the same city as MeiLing (the girl I fell head over heels for last year who then moved to University).

Anyways, we swapped numbers and emails...

This was kind of a cool first for me, I picked up the best looking girl in a packed restaraunt of about 300 people. Next time, I'll try to order a more local dish. But, this kind of gave me some confidence and maybe I just fluked big time. I'm tired of potential that never seems to take shape... so, I'm going on the aggressive and I figure an hour of dreadful coffee is the worst I'll have to endure from this as I feel I am big enough to fend off any accidental jealous boyfriends.

Later tonight, I went to a new lounge on the pier and had a blast with Cherie, Paul was tired, so it was just Cherie and I. I drove from her house to the Pier by the sea and we went to the lounge, it was opening night. It was the classiest place I've ever been into. It seemed like Club 54 from the movies, but was a hundred times better. They had live bands all night that weren't straining the speakers and their English songs sounded like Englsih, although they were a little 90's, but only the best. They sang Chinese and Japanese songs, but none of it was heavy metal or anything, all of it was easy to listen to.

Cherie got drunk for the first time ever and she was really giddy on the drive home. We had fun. Her friends who invited us out didn't speak a lick of English, so I did some serious brushing up on my Chinese, I really had a great time and I am feeling more comfortable using Chinese as a sole language. I chatted for 5 hours in Chinese, I know I didn't speak English because they wouldn't understand it. Cherie helped me out a little, but not much. Had a great talk and ate some good food.

By the way, I found out why the beef in my absolute favorite food (Tomato beef soup) is always the same size and round with some cartilage in the middle... it's the tail of the cow. Whatever, I've never asked, and I'll never tell, I still love the soup.

Also, my Canada trip really gouged me for finances so I paid for my Cambodia trip in Canadian funds. That sucks. "I'm off to see the wonder, the 2nd wonder of the world. Because, because, because, beacause! The wonderful things I does!" Angkor Wat, here I come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home