Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Adventure awaits.

"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing worth knowing can be taught." ~Oscar Wilde, "The Critic as Artist," 1890


Well, it seems that the more I learn about Cambodia, the more of an adventure it seems to be turning out to be.

"Cambodia is the most undeveloped nation in south east Asia, with over 80% of the population living under thatched roofs." Life

Let's look at this logistically:

1. I am a foreigner = RICH.
2. They are Cambodian = DIRT POOR ($5US a week!!!)
3. 2004 was the first full year that Cambodia was war free = loose ends.
4. There are no bank machines in Cambodia = I must bring all the cash I will need and more, it must me on my person.
5. There are highway robberies.
6. Many kids have orange hair because of severe vitamin deficiencies.
7. Every time I see medical advice, it says to get the hell out of Cambodia into Thailand for medical treatment.
8. "Cambodia remains one of the most heavily mined countries in the world."
There are 4-6 million unexploded landmines in Cambodia = so much for going off the beaten path.
9. They have had human cases of Avian Flu.

All the sites I've looked at say that it is now safe to travel at night in Cambodia, but don't do it anyways. The mines have been cleared for where I want to go, so that is also a good thing. But I want to go out with the mine clearers for the day, talk about an experience. I can't wait to go, I think this experience will help with my "Eyes wide open" experience of the world.

"Cambodia has one of the largest numbers of landmines in the world. It's estimated that four to six million mines litter the country. They were placed there by a variety of groups, including the Khmer Rouge, the Cambodian government and the Vietnamese. Since 1979, 40,000 Cambodians have had to be amputated as a result of landmine accidents. 97 percent of the victims are civilians."

If these people can't clean up landmines, build a hospital, cull the crime and have enough food, this ought to be a cultural experience to say the least.

I'm planning to do it with my backpack and the boat trip looks to be more than a little shifty, I was debating a land route, but everyone I've talked to says that I MUST take the boat, it's one of the most experiencing parts of the trip. A boat listed for 100 people, with 400 people in, on and hanging off of along with produce and goods. All for 7 hours sitting on the roof because the interior is too stuffy while trying to avoid sunburn and dehydration... did I mention Pirates, apparently, there are a lot of armed soldiers on the boat just in case and it hasn't happened for a year or so. I'm trying to pack really light so that I can be mobile and not have to make a home base. Apparently, I can get a SIM card for my cell phone, so I should have affordable communication.

To Bring:
2 pants
3 shirts
lots of fresh socks and undies
sunscreen
mosquito spray
a hat
iPod for my music and camera
my camera and some equipment
chargers and power adaptor
a flashlight
Lonely Planet Book (Cambodia, of course)
Money Belt
Water Purification tabs
AK-47 Assault rifle

Hope I brought enough but not too much, this scheme worked for Thailand, but I used a home base because I brought all my diving equipment. I might bring a small backpack In case I do decide to leave some stuff around. I will only need to take my iPod, Camera and cash,the rest isn't worth anything... beyond replacing.

New York Times article on Cambodia

P.S. I hope the weblinks worked.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be sending up a prayer or two for you... Breta

Thursday, January 26, 2006 12:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really want to make me go there..._Jennifer

Sunday, January 29, 2006 8:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home