Sunday, November 06, 2005

Skirting the atmosphere.

Well, I feel like the MIR space station in it's last few weeks. I'm skirting along the outer atmosphere at the risk of burn up. Well, my parents came for a couple weeks, and due to some communication errors, etc. some tensions arose that soon evaporated.

For my 7 working days off, I had to have my boss sub my classes and when you let anyone do something of yours that they have been doing for 17 years as compared to my 2 years, they'll find something. No worries, except that my kids can read a book but they don't know the difference between short and long "a". Not a good thing, but as they still know how to read, it's not a terminal problem. I have been working at this school for 18 months and we are supposed to have the boss in to observe us every 6 weeks or so... he hasn't been into my class for 15 months. I feel bad that I wasn't doing my phonics right (phonics is a small part of teaching with big importance) but I wish I had found out sooner.

After this, they started looking at other aspects of my perfect teaching, my scheduling of my classes is back on track, my parents like me, my students love me but my communication with the parents on their children's problems could be better and I could book more students in if they are having minor problems. Also, my writing class is using a book that is next to impossible but I dumb it down for them and they are all learning well.

My cousin is leaving and I miss home.

Just alot of things happening and I don't really know. I feel secure in my job still, maybe buck up a little bit, but I don't feel like I'm in any danger... even if we weren't losing 2 teachers in the next couple months.

On the good side, I found the right spot to hit my air conditioner when the thermostat sticks. I have also found a similar spot on my tv when the picture goes black once a week. Still looking for the special spot on my scooter for when it runs out of gas.

My apartment seems to be fairly cheap, barely more than my last place, but this place is all mine, all three bedrooms. And my money seems to be collecting again, I don't feel like I have changed many habits, but I have not been traveling and even though I didn't work for 2 weeks and I sent home $1200CAN with my parents, I seem to have some, which is about some more than I thought I'd have... I figured I'd be broke, and I almost was. I can see the upswing now, only to be dampened by Canada's rising dollar and Taiwan's soon to be "yen". Two years ago it was $23NT = $1CAN, now it's 29/1.

I went to Tainan today on my bike, it was fun and I found a good Italian place ($2.50 Can per plate) that had good food. Why did I go to Tainan? I haven't the faintest, I decided to do something this weekend and by sheer default, Tainan won.

I haven't posted for a week and no one's left me a comment. Are Theresa, my parents and occasionally Jenn the only ones reading this? Am I wasting my broadband?
Please drop a comment, just so I know who's on here. You don't need an account, you can post under anonymous. Please leave one so I know whose on here, or please tell someone else.

Colin.

Funniest thing, all this stuff and I am not worried. I have money and I can have a new job within a week. I could also sell my stuff and go home, all these sound like fine options to me. Ii just wish that my life was a little clearer so I know what to do. Ii things things will just simmer down and I will be a better teacher because of it as well.
I know I have learned many things from my time in Taiwan, like always have a safety net and don't be afraid to make a leap.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still reading, don't worry!

Ally

Tuesday, November 08, 2005 1:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home