Sunday, October 30, 2005

Coli-wan Kenobi- The life of a Jedi.

Not so long ago, in a country far, far away. There lives a pop culture icon, oblivious to the Asian populous. A Jedi hero was sent from this cinematicaly diverse and loyal culture into the rings of Asia. And, the saga begins...

This Jedi hero, Coli-wan Kenobi, was in full Jedi garb as he strode into the staff room at a small English cram school. He was greeted with ceremonialism from those of his home culture, all Western eyes were in awe. He strode to the front where the Taiwanese secretary gazed upon Coli-wan's garb and light saber and said, "Wow! Soo cool! I love Lord of the Rings!." She was immediately executed. This was repeated with the students, "Wow, teacher! So cool! What are you?" A perfect gem, only to be seen as a dirty stone.

I thought it was a pretty cool costume but Star Wars is not part of the Asian culture. Sure, they might have seen the movies, but only in the last few years, it was not something to grow up with. Some of my students knew what I was but they think Star Wars is a good movie rather than a cultural thing.

Trying to find a costume in this place is next to impossible. Costumes are for kids, Halloween is for Western culture and I am still 30% bigger than most Taiwanese adults. In Taiwan, Halloween is only celebrated in English schools, there is no trick or treating. This makes costume hunting sparse so I decided to make my own. Luckily, Toys R Us had a light saber in with the toys and for the cloak, I went to a fabric shop, bought fabric, printed some pictures and dropped them off at a tailor. We had class parties, so Thursday and Friday were spent trying to entertain kids, I'd rather teach. Saturday was the Halloween party day at the bars and they were all full. I went to Overtime and had a blast but I didn't win the costume contest, I missed it completely.

Anyways, I'm a little stressed out at work because my boss subbed my classes for 2 weeks while my parents were here and he's worried about my students phonics, a rightfully so. Just something I need to fix and I'm not looking forward to it but at least I know about it. I just wish I had it right, from the start. To be honest, I'm not really that excited to teach on Monday, don't really know why. Looking forward to going home for Christmas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home