Monday, July 23, 2007

Who would ever want to go home?

Nice to see that someone's reading my posts.


Anyways, today, Candy and I went motorbiking in search of a huge waterfall. Supposedly you're only supposed to be able to get there by elephant... but, they weren't prepared for an insane man and a tiny motorbike... actually, autobike (gears, but no clutch. However, if you press the shifter a little, it goes out of gear and if you rev it and release it, you can do wheelies or blow dirt). So, we followed our map (to size? it's got a grid set over top, so I think it's not bad) and started going into the jungle. Complete with monkeys that throw things at us, and tonnes of butterflies... and elephants. We wound up driving through a lake, a river and over rocks, I had to get off the bike and drive it wheelie style through the lake as it got a little deep. We found our waterfall and even met another couple that spent the last 5 hours hiking the trail. So, we sat at the falls and watched the butterflies and smashed some coconuts down from the trees, yummy.

I took some pictures, but my tripod had a car accident after deciding to leap from the basket on my bike and throw itself in front of a moving car; it's never been the same since, it's in pieces in my garbage can. Also, my lens has been giving me grief, sometimes when I take a picture, I get an Error 99 message (unknown error) and my viewfinder flickers (it's not a digital display), so I think I have some shutter issues, hopefully warranty is good for it. So, I'm stuck with an 80mm (equiv) and a 150-550mm (equiv) lens set. I sold my backup 28-80 lens to Paul last month... go figure.

The evening was spent with my new hammock, strung under a Banyan tree on the beach, eating sweet and sour chicken and drinking chilled coconuts. After sunset, Candy and I went to a private little bay and floated on our backs watching the stars for about 3 hours, I taught her how to float last week and she loves it. She got stung by a jellyfish (maybe, it didn't hurt much, but it left marks for a couple hours) and I molested a sea slug that we found crawling on the bottom, it was the size of a kitten.

Then, later tonight, we were getting ready to go out and I reached outside to grab my underwear off the hanger hanging from my hut and I got stung by a bee. Luckily Candy had some antiseptic, anti inflamitory, anti insect bite, anti sunburn cream from when she cut herself up on some rocks on Koh PhiPhi (Phuket).

Long story short, we were snorkeling off the point of an island, and the undertow was super strong that we couldn't fight it. So, we headed for some rocks to figure out what to do. We were alright and not going anywhere or needing to swim, just floating behind the rock and Candy panicked a little and decided to start climbing the rocks. I couldn't talk her out of it, so she got scratched up and I swam RIGHT next to the rocks and the undertow wasn't so bad. About a dozen other people got caught up in it about 20 minutes later, a boat was sent out to retrieve them. Usually there's no problem there, we were told it was just a strange current that day. We got some fantastic underwater pictures. The first three were dark... someone forgot to take off the electrical tape from the camera lens (it was protecting from scratches).

Hmmm.... cash seems to be holding, we're at about $30/day including, bike, gas, hotel, food, beer and some shopping, not bad. We will be heading to Bangkok Tuesday at noon... by bus. Also, I will be stopping by my favorite light-fingered travel agent once we hit the mainland. Haven't figured what to do about it yet, still talking suggestions.

Oh yeah, we saw a sign for a prison today and took a drive. About a 40 foot tall cement wall, then a strip of bamboo spikes about 12 feet wide and dogs and then a 15 foot tall chain link fence with no need for barbed wire, all served over a red earth floor. I doubt anyone would bother trying to jump the chain link fence, how do you avoid dogs when you're skewered on an 8 foot tall bamboo spike? Not to mention the 40 foot cement wall.

Anyways, tomorrow, we drive to some beach, and make a swim for an island to do some snorkelling.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an adventure! Can't wait to see the pics.
Breta

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 3:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Spud (and Spudette)!

The neat thing about Candy learning the merits of SPF15 is that you get to apply it!

Too bad about your money getting skimmed. Not sure what you can do. You can rely on them being honest and returning the money ... let me know how that goes ... :). At least nobody got hurt. Sounds like you two had a great time. Catch you on the phone.

Love Dad (& Mom)

Thursday, July 26, 2007 7:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home