Saturday, August 12, 2006

Laost in IndoChina.

Wow, has it been that long? I've found a very special place... Van Vieng (spell?), just north of Vintienne (sp?) in Laos. I've rented a room on stilts, but I spend most of my time in the deck above the trees alongside the river looking into the mountains. Yep, lounging on tatami mats and Thai axe pillows, or maybe relaxing in the hammok while people bring me drinks and mango over sticky rice, covered in coconut milk. I cannot believe how cheap it is here, and how wonderful it is to do nothing...

I've spent my time swimming in lagoons, rivers and caves, sunning myself on the deck, reading, tubing over the rapids and throwing myself off rope swings, zip lines and just plain jumping off of cliffs and trees. I have to say, tubing over the rapids with an ice cold beer in your hands, feels pretty damn good... especially when one of the Isreali girls you were with, parks her tube in the trees and has to swim the rapids to your tube. She got caught in a tree and I was the only one in our group to manage to grab onto a tree to stop from going down the river. Hence, she had a 100m swim down the river to my tube. Hers got reall caught up in a tree and thorny bushes. Anyways, as reward for my bravery, I had a very cute beer holder on my lap, sharing my beer with me as we floated down the river... I think she set it up... yeah.

Anyways, I think I might leave this place tomorrow morning and go to Luang Prabang, the former capital. The town I'm in is half the size of Cut Knife and doesn't have any pavement. Anyways, I think I'll find my way back here, but I want to get to Luang Prabang, then north into the hill tribes, rent a bike because there's no transportation. MAybe just do what the locals do and rent a water buffalo.

P.S. I have checked my email, am I missing soemthing?

P.P.S. I might be "off the grid" for a week or so, I'm barely in civilization as it is. I'll try to post if I can, my flight out of Saigon is for the 25th, I should post by the 23rd, hopefully I'll be flying from Vientienne (Laos) to Saigon (Ho Chi Min City, Vietnam) on the 23rd, because I don't like the bus... 30 hours on a bus? Yuck!

P.P.P.S. Is there really a P.P.P.S.?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW. What a holiday...Sounds great! Breta.

Sunday, August 13, 2006 2:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home