Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Laosing around.

Well, I think I'll be in Van Vieng for a little while, I'm in a guesthouse for $2.50 a night. A beautiful place, I can jump off of my balcony, right into the river.

I spent yasterday tubing on the river from cliff swing to high jump bar. Yep, tubing, every two hundred meters, there's a bar scratched into the cliff with some guy standing on a rock dancing and shouting, "BeerLao, BeerLao!!" and offering you a bamboo pole to help guide you to shore. Slide your way up the clay beach and grab a beer, then grab the zip line and splash into the river and swim back to shore. Yep, jumping from high cliffs, hanging form zip lines and swinging from rope swings is how I spent 7 hours yesterday. That, and floating down a river on a tube.

Today, I woke at 7am and watched the sunrise over the river and mountains from my beach hammok on the deck. Then, I was served breakfast, ham and tuna sandwich, strawberry shake and coconut milk served over hot stickyrice... mmmm. Then relaxed with the other guests in hammoks and Thai pillows on the deck... till 2pm. Never got to tubing, so we (some Spaniards and Israelis) rented some motorbikes and went cave stomping and swimming in this fantasticaly green swimming hole. There were rope swings and trees to dive from, they said it's 7m deep, it could be. There were fish swimming around our feet and there was lots of fun.

Dinner on Thai mats and cushions and a selection of DVD's. So, we munched, talked, drank and ate. Well, back to the guesthouse (it's on stilts, above the trees) for some reading in the hammok (Zen, and the art of motorcycle repair.) Then to bed, and up to cruise the bikes once again in the morning.

Oh yeah, you know the highway needs repairs when two water buffalo (or is it water bison?) are bathing in the potholes. Our driver had to actually get out of the bus to get them to move. Oh yeah, I took the public bus... US$2 to go for 3 hours for 190km. Old bus, windows down, bikes, scooters, sacks of food, all strapped onto the top of the bus. With the bus twice it's height, it piles onto the "highway", identical to the one between "Country Roads" and Grandma's house. An interesting, I sat at the back, it's safer. I watched the driver from the big mirror, he seemed to be pretty opn top of things. A neat ride, from the flay plains into steep mountains in 20 minutes.

Anyways, having fun, luv ya!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

E.T. check your email.

Friday, August 11, 2006 2:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home