Monday, August 07, 2006

Getting the fokker out of there.

Well, I'm in Laos.

Last night, I was planning what to do tomorrow, decided that there was nothing I wanted to do in Hanoi and Sapa was not really a good option. So, I decided to go to Laos. The bus was 23 hours and US$18, or the plane was US$110, I bought a ticket... I hate the bus.

Internet shop's closing, so here's an excerpt from an email to Reg:


"I'm (screwed)... sort of. I'm in Laos now... I have US$200 in my wallet, it's gotta lest me until the 24th and get me the hell out of here to Vietnam, requiring $25 of that for a visa for Vietnam. So, that's $175 for 20 days plus I need to find transportation to get to Saigon again.

Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but Laos is not very developed and there is not one bloody ATM machine in the whole bloody country!!! Other than that, it's a nice place. I'm in the capital, Vientiane, POP 133,000, and it's a national capital? It's got less traffic than Cut Knife, on it's dirt roads.

I should be able to do well on the cash at hand, my hotel is $1/night and beer is 30 cents for 1.5L, my all you can eat BBQ tonight was $2.50... how do they do it? Lunch was $1, including drinks.

My total, $4.50/ day and living well. Plus some transportation. Tomorrow, I will go in search of an ATM in the new hotels, if not, I think I have some ideas but everyone says that what I have is good for 4 weeks, easily, but then I can't fly home, gotta do the bus to Saigon."

I had read in Lonely planet that there are no ATM's here, so I looked for US cash at 11pm on Sunday, the Vietnam ATM's dispense only Viet Dong money. The cash exchange places wanted a high cut, so I went without.

Anyways, more to update later.
I'm at Sabaidy Guest House, 856-21 213929 Rm 302. $1/night = no phone, so just letting you know where I am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home