Wednesday, January 04, 2006

My Life Flashing Before My Eyes

Well, I got off the stinkin' plane, caught a nap, unpacked some stuff and then taught English.

Some things I've learned:

1. Only 80% of glass beer bottles survive trans-Pacific flights. (8/10 ain't terrible)

2. Santa visits less than 5% of Taiwanese kids, rumor has it that he was sick this year.

3. 63% of all statistics are mad up on the spot.

4. 100% of painting easels get damaged after customs or security screws with the crap in your suitcase and don't take time to put it back properly.

5. Travel screws up computer stuff, bringing me to this post.


Well, I plugged in my external hard drive this week and it didn't show up on my computer. So, I tried the other one... the same. What the hell, maybe it's the adaptor? So, I brought one of the hard drives to a computer store and hooked it up and it was DOA. Crap, so Ii brought the other one that had all my important stuff on it... it worked, soo happy, so I bought it home and it didn;t work again. Have you ever taken your car to the mechanics and it ran better than it ever did? Did it immediately screw up as soon as you were out of the mechanics parking lot? Yeah, dumb question, huh? Sort of like, "Is water wet?" Anyways, I think I might try a new adaptor. I went to get one tonight, but the store was expensive and they don't believe in refunds. I'll go back downtown tomorrow and deal with it.

My life flashed before my eyes, this drive has everything in it. It has all m y pictures, school stuff, stories, essays, music, all my music, I love my music when I travel, it can make time fly and can pretty much fuzz life out when you need it. On the good side, the headphones seem to almost work by themselves, whenever I wear them, people don't seem to talk to me, even if the other end is plugged in to my belly button, makes no difference. If anyone ever needs a break, just buy some cheap but comfortable earphones, no need for expensive CD players.

So, before I left Canada, I backed up my Simpsons and Family Guy episodes onto DVD and never bothered with my pictures. My mom said I had given her some CD's of my pictures, but they were only the condensed slide shows. She has about 10 CD's of mine, and I had about 40 CD's worth of pictures.

Tomorrow, I will trek through the bowels of computerville looking for solutions to my problem, hopefully, it will wind up as a $40 new case for my hard drive, to replace the 6 month old $40 case I already own.

Alternatives:

1. My life down the tubes.

2. Pay some rich guy in the states $3,000 US to peel the data off my busted ass hard drive, now he's an even richer guy.

3. Buy a new hard drive and re-tour Asia with my camera and replace the pictures that way. This would be much more fun... and quite possibly cheaper! (I'm serious)

4. Find other peoples pictures and paste my face on them to make them my own.

5. Buy a new $40 box and hope like hell it works. (My favorite option)

6. Build a time machine, go back to Christmas, back up my crap, go back to 1996, buy a whole bunch of BreX, go to 1998, sell my BreX right before the crash, come back to now and sell the machine for a huge amount.

7. Pretend Asia never happened.

Well, off to bed, I have an early start of building up on stress just so I can take it out on my students. Tomorrow, I will have a date with my DVD burner doing some backups of pictures, or I will start on my time machine, I hope it's the burner.

Interesting thing today:
I was getting juice from my roadside juice stand and the little boy was pissing around with the cooler, the mother reached behind somewhere and brought out a willow stick and threatened him. He still did not stop, so she "switched" him into a better understanding. As she did this, she just smiled at me and laughed a little at my amazement. It's not strange here, it's the norm. The other customer didn't even pause in his speaking.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did the beer in the 2 bottles soak into all your stuff or did the baggies hold???? Sorry to hear your easel got damaged! Travelling sure can be a pain when that happens. Breta

Sunday, January 08, 2006 2:15:00 AM  
Blogger Sean said...

I had a similar problem recently and ran a partition recovery utility on my disk and everything was okay. Sorry I can't remember the name of the program, but if you try that, it might help.

Sunday, January 15, 2006 10:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home