Sunday, July 31, 2005

For granted.

Ok, a quick update. And thanks for posting a comment Jennifer, my readership has now officially DOUBLED regarding the 200% increase in feedback! I now have a total readership of two people!

Ok, so one thing that I think of when I'm at a restaraunt in Thailand. I have a brother and sister in one of my young classes, they are 5 and 6 years old. For this break time, thier family is going to the Japanese Disney Land! I was asking them what excited them the most about that and you know what they told me...?
It's not Disney Land, Mickey Mouse, meeting ninjas, Sumo wrestling, the robotics stuff, the computers, all the amazing Japanese stuff... nope.
The absoulte ONE thing that they are so excited to see and do is....

....drink water straight from the faucet...

..."WHAT?!?!?! Are you crazy?!?!?!"
"No, teacher, really, you can drink right from the tap and not get sick... ANY tap!"

It's truly amazing what we take for granted, I can think of about a millioin things for a 5 year old to get excited about going to Japan, but this would not have been one of them. I don't really mind drinking bottled water or the water from my purifier, it's cheap and easy to get, but I've always taken it fro granted at home.

The funniest part was that the other kids were really excited about them going to Japan and seeing Mickey and all that stuff... until little Johnny mentioned about the water; thier Mickey excitement dropped like a bag of hammers only to be repaced byt this crazy notion of drinking from the tap, like aliens had given some futuristec powers to the Japanese. So, after them asking me if it could possible be true, I told them it's the same in Canada. Then all we could talk about for the next 20 minutes was tap water, there's a topic EVERY 5 year old dreams of discussing. So, next one who comes to visit, is required to bring a bottle of TAP water for me to drink as the students wait for me to keel over, if I survive, they'll probably demand to taste this foreign substance.

Well, now that the important stuff is over, I'm still going on my SCUBA course tonight for 4 days. I'm excited.

Oh yeah, I told you that I drove a tuk-tuk in Chang Mai, well... in Bangkok, they have motorcycle taxis. All they are is a man in an orange vest with a motorbike. I had to try it, I wanted to go for a ride to the reclining Bhudda temple, it would have cost me $2.50CAN in a cab since I was on the opposite end of the city. The motorbike taxi wanted $4 and I told him he's nuts. Long story short, for what should have been a $2 ride, I paid $4, one one condition... ...the crazy foreigner gets to drive the bike, hahaha 800ccs of power! After I showed him I had enough money in my wallet to do some major patchwork on his bike, he asked me if I knew where it was or how to get there... I promptly replied, "No, that's why you're on the bike." So, he pointed down the main street freeway looking thing and said to go that way... we were on the wrong side. So, after 5 minutes of weaving through oncoming busses, taxis and motorbikes, we found an opening to get onto the left side of the street (that's the way it's supposed to be). It was fun, we did some dumb stuf that made him grab on sometimes as he yelled at me in Thai and bad English where to go, so funny. He was letting some foreign guy drive his taxi with him on the back through a city famous for traffic carnage and mayhem, I was dodging tuk-tuks and everything but we made good time. He waited for me at the temple (Wat Po) and then I had him drive me to the boat pier. I took a boat taxi home (cause boats are the fastest way to get around in Bangkok... less traffic) and moved my stuff to the tour place.

Anyways, time to go.
Ummm.... I don't know what else to say.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We will bring you a litre of N.B water when we come. Don't know if the kids will survive N.B. water though!!! We so enjoy your blog...Keep it up! It sure makes your vacation sound adventurous and "perfectly safe"... this is your mother talking...Enjoy your holidays and the scuba..I would love to join you! (Just for the teacher in you, Thier is really their) Love you , Breta

Monday, August 01, 2005 2:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having a good time! Stay safe out there damnit!

Monday, August 01, 2005 9:34:00 AM  
Blogger Colin said...

Regarding "thier":
I have not spelled that word right once in this entire blog...

...Please see the post script in the comments under the title.
"P.S. gRAmMAR end speling r rezervd four the cl-assroom."

Besides my students won't care if thier teacher can spell or not. Remember, thei're only children. So, when I am done my vacation, I will go thier and spell it properly.
What ever happened to "i before e, except after c?"

Monday, August 01, 2005 10:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home