Thursday, July 28, 2005

Indiana Jones and the city of humble

Well, I figured that I had seen everything to see in Chang Mai, so we decided to go to Bangkok (yes, JAm's still travellking with me... going fairly well). Jam thought it would be a great way to save money and a hotel room if we took the 15 hour night train.
So, we managed to book the train and rented a motorbike to cruise the city. We went to a great Thai restaraunt and had some Thai and Indian food. Then we hopped a Tuk-tuk to the hotel to pick up our bags, then to my tailor to pick up my new suit and then to the train station. We had no time and traffic was slow. We made it to the train and to our sleeper car. I was told that food and stuff was expensive and crappy so we had taken some extra Indian/Thai food from the restaraunt. I wanted something to drink for the 15 hour ride ao I asked one of the conductors how much time I had, "Three minutes," he said. I ran to the little snack shop along the platform and grabbed some beer, Coke and water. The announcement said something like, "Akbarabtdu pnohm pelophin narkachu...," so I figured I should hurry up. I paid the lady and as she was handing me my change, I heard this strange noise...
(insert Indiana Jones theme music here... Da de da daaaa, da de daaah...)
... the train was moving with all my stuff on it, but not me! I ran like hell and yelled at one of the conductors on the last car who was standing in the doorway. His eyes widened and the train went faster and faster. I ran alongside the very last car and jumped into the opening at the last minute. One hand hanging on the outside pole and the other clutching my bag o' beer with the conductor's hand grabbing my shoulder. Managed to get my footing and climbed inside. After touring the 11 cars before I got to mine I sat down and caught my breath.
I cracked my beer and she asked if I had gotten anything for her... nope, I asked her and she said nothing. She was unaware that I meant for the whole trip, duh, 15 hours. Anyways, I did grab her a bottle of water anyway.
I was on the top bunk and it is 6 feet long, I am 6'3". The train was noisy and stuff and the lights were left on all night... guess who loosened a bunch of the fluorescent bulbs? I don't know either. So, we managed to get to Bangkok and I had a crappy sleep, but whatever. Anyways, off to see the city, tell you about it later.

Leave me comments!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All that racing with Bob must have been in training for this moment...Sounds just like the movie!!!Pretty cool, eh...Love ya, Breta. Would love to see you alive in Oct....

Monday, August 01, 2005 2:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home