Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Taiwan seems like the sanest place on Earth.

Well, I'm in Thailand...

It's the coolest place on Earth! It also makes Taiwan seem very sane. Here, they drive on the left, but EVERYTHING drives. They have Tuk-tuks 3 wheeled motorcycle carriges from hell), and modified pickup trucks, like a bus, but a pickup truck, and yes, scooters. Well, I drove with this Tuk-tuk driver for an hour today ($3CAN) and it was cool, but I told him he looked tired and so it was my turn to drive. I showed him that I had enough money in my wallet to buy him a new Tuk-tuk or two and he said ok. So I drove like a madman and he sat in the back screaming directions to me (cause I don't know where I'm goin'). He was having the time of his life as I was doing wheelies in his Tuk and on the other hand, his stomach was in his throat as his life flashed... especially when I accidentaly lifted a wheel around a corner... I slowed down a little for the corners but the wheelies still kept coming. So, we got to the camera shop to buy a new mini tripod to replace my dysfunctional one and I asked him for $100 Baht ($4CAN) for the ride, he laughed and I gave him $650Baht total ($25CAN) a little more than a days pay (500Baht) and couldn't find what I wanted. So, HE drove me home as my deathwish had subsided along with his.
Well, many more tales to come, but I'm on hollidays, so maybe later. Bangkok and the island coming soon... Maybe I'll go tomorrow.

Colin.

I was going alone, but it happened that Jam wanted to come along, to see Thailand and not me. I told her this was MY vacation and I am doing what I want and that's it, so no promises... of ANYTHING. So, we arrived Saturday late night and it's now Tuesday night and we are still sharing a hotel in Chang Mai (Northern Thailand). We did our own things today and it was great.

Yesterday, we went on a drive through northern Thailand in the back of a pickup truck, then an hour and a half on the back of an elephant through an amaxing rainforrest and along a river. I think our elephant had better plans when he awoke this morning, he seemed to like pulling trees out of the ground and hitting himself on the head with them (maybe to swat the insects/rider) so, I took it upon myself to take the tree and hit him on the head lightly, he seemed content when I just left the branch on his head... I know what NOT to fight with, especially the kind that thinks uprooting trees is a hobby. We got off our deathdefying ridge riding hill climbing 10 ton killing machine and proceded into rubber rafts.
It had been raining for two days and the river had flooded it's banks, the water was crazy! So, on with the crash helmits and life jackets. We were told we had to stop and travoise one part that was too dangerous. Well... we missed and went over a small waterfall. We all managed to stay in the boat, a little while later, we grabbed air a second time and I caught the girl behind me as she decided she wanted a last minute swim, she brought a waterproof camera and I think she got some good pictured of me trying to paddle and land back in the boat at the same time, we changed clothes and hopped back into the box from hell (pickup truck box with no suspension). So, we bumped for an hour and wound up at some temple Bhuddist cave dwelling thing, it was cool. The old parts were overgrown with vines and trees and had parts broken off, like the Aztec's place. We had lunch and drove to visit the Long Neck Hill Tribe (The ones with the 2 brass ring looking things wrapped around thier necks and limbs), they were cool, and the scenery was great. Apparently, they wear the rings to fend off tigers, and they are from Burma and they have no citizenship in Thailand and are illegal aliens but the authorities lookthe other way. They were sitting in thier huts making silk blanket things. We made the long journey home, it was great.
We got home the see CNN (in Thai) mumbling stuff and showing computer graphics of shockwaves from an earthquake. Yes, a Tsumani warning and pictures of Thais and Tourists running like hell and air raid sirens went off. Apparently, the government overreacted as nothing happened, but after Dec 26th, I don't blame them (I was inland, no where near the coast), people running and screaming in your country and every channle focussed on it is scary when you don't understand a word.
I bought a suit this week, a very nice suit, made of satin I guess, to stay cool in the heat. Whatever works, it's SUPER nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home