Thursday, May 04, 2006

Holy Cow Roe!

I bought my 'Cow Roe De DiFang' or 'BBQ thing'.

I've been wanting a BBQ for a while, tired of rice, not satisfied with the 'Western' food here and can't afford the truly great. I decided to buy a BBQ, I asked some of the guys from ball about BBQ's in Taiwan. They said B&Q (Home Depot.tw) was the only place around for gas BBQ's. I was online and ivited Jaco over for a BBQ, as soon as I went to get it. Sure!

I raced off to B&Q and the only ones they had were about 4 times what I wanted to spend. Special order from Taipei, arrives on Wednesday. Crap, pan fried. Went to Dollars to buy some sides and stuff, got home 5 minutes late to find Jaco waiting. Then I asked him for the meat he was going to bring, he politely pointed out my illiteracy as I reviewed our chat on MSN. We ran to Dollars to get meat, beacause I can't bloody read and it was my job to get the meat.

I marinated the steaks in beer and steak spice, pan fried 'em, made instant mashed potatoes, a funky salad (it wasn't lettuce, I knew that when I bought it, it was better, still don't know what the leafeys were, but I added some tomatoes and a blue cheese dressing) and buttered super thick toast. It was pretty good, but... pan fried? It beat the crap out of going out. Watched some Jackass movie and he went home.

Tonight, I went to pick up my BBQ. Hmmm.... now, I'm standing in the parking lot with a huge BBQ and my scooter... I thought to myself... when in Rome... what would a Taiwanese person do??? ... I know, bring a car! ...no got... ...second option? ...I've got ONE bungie cord under my seat! According to Taiwanese custom, that is one more bungie than what is required to transport a BBQ on a scooter!!! So, I strapped it on and headed to the propane shop (no, B&Q can't sell propane tanks, that would be too easy). I pulled up to one of these fancy motorcycles with propane racks on the back in front of the shop. Told them what I want (10Kg prop tank) that fits the nozzle in the box on my bike. They opened the box and tested the nozzel. Needed a different tank, but they had one.
They got my address so they could deliver a refill when I needed it. I went to toss the BBQ on my bike and get the tank, but he kindly offered to take them both for me. He drives faster than I do and he's set to blow!

My BBQ is set up on my balcony and my steak was great!

I'm debating skipping town or flying and BBQing this weekend.

Skip town: Go to TaiJung to see a couple friends.
Stay here: Fly on Saturday, fix a computer, have a bbq, sleep in on Sunday, play baseball, have another BBQ, go to bed.

Since I really have nowhere to go, I might stay here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice, good to hear that your earning your luxury.

R.R.S

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 10:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home