Sunday, December 02, 2007

The great train wreck.

Well, this week has been too busy for me.

Last weekend, I had an editor of a foreigner magazine over to my place for a beer. Eventually, I showed him some of my photography and the next day, he offered me a job as a photographer... then as a writer. So, I've been busy this week, running around taking pictures of restaurants and food and then eating the food and writing reviews. I have to say, there is some fantastic food to be found. I just finished submitting my material for the magazine and was down to the deadline. Taking pictures of food in a softly lit restaurant is difficult when you don't have the cash to buy a flash (I don't like flashes anyways), so I went to 'Home Depot' (similar) and bought a work light, some plastic sheeting, some chrome tape and a white translucent shopping bag and made a soft light box for my camera, works great on a small scale (19W fluorescent light) and can light up a whole table quite nicely. The soft box cost me about $20 compared to the $350 for my flash.

School... Well, I had to make an annual test for one school and test, mark and evaluate my students, another school, I did the same thing, but the test was already prepared, and my last school; we had a parent's night, where I had to prepare a presentation and have my students as well as myself present what we are learning... why do students behave in class and be silly or shy when the parents are watching?

Social,I helped Reg move... ...on scooters. Yep, we moved all his stuff using little scooters and bungie cords. The fridge, washer and bed were moved by truck, but all the rest went by motorcycle. Welcome to Taiwan.

So, I've been really tired this week, reading magazine guidelines (there's a lot), making tests, marking tests, writing evaluations, building camera equipment, moving, etc... I wound up drinking a bottle of energy drink on Thursday evening, the active ingredient is epinephrine, I felt really great, but not so happy about what's inside. I haven't drank any for about 2 years and don't really want to. On the good side, I don't drink Coke much anymore, I drank one liter this week.

So, my week's taking off and everything looks good, next week will be much easier as everything is more or less done.

Now for the train wreck...
Today to my absolute horror, I realized that I was out of Ketchup. I went to 4 grocery stores and a few other possible places. "Taiwan is simply out of Ketchup." Apparently, there isn't a bottle of Ketchup in this country, and no one seems to care!!! It must be a sign of the Apocalypse... or it should be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home